Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Eraser Drawings


All Seeing Eye



Size: 21" x 12"
Medium: Yarka Willow Charcoal, White Eraser
Artist Statement: For this drawing assignment, I was only allowed to work with work with Yarka Willow Charcoal and a white eraser. First I had to cover the entire paper surface with these charcoal stick and use an eraser to create marks in this drawing, a method of give and take one would say. I have worked with these types of charcoal before and I find them weak and really fragile, I at least broke about 12 charcoal sticks while doing this drawing. The reason why I chose to do an eye is because it had been a while since I have done anything basic and I wanted to clearly show that the eraser was mostly used in mark making.
Living and Dying Rose



Size: 21" x 12"
Medium: Rembrandt Black Pastel, White Eraser
Artist Statement: For this drawing assignment, I was only allowed to work with Rembrandt Black Pastel and a white eraser. Same as the previous drawing in covering the entire surface with only this medium and then use an eraser to create marks.  Lucky for me I have worked with black pastel and I it very smooth to work with especially when it comes to blending, which is the reason why I decided to do a rose as my subject for this piece. Roses require the right amount of shading and blending to make it seem more real. Plus they are also beautiful to draw.
Cityscape




 Size: 21" x 12"
Medium: Yarka Willow Charcoal, Rembrandt Black Pastel, White Eraser
Artist Statement: For this drawing the materials I could only use were the willow charcoal and the black pastel while still using the eraser to still make marks. I first layered the surface with both willow charcoal and the black pastel then used the eraser to create a sunrise backdrop. Then I went back in the pastel to layout the shape of the builds of a city, outline the edges and shade in some sides. I also went back in the willow charcoal to add more shading into the buildings and a few more skyscrapers in the distances. Then final went back in with the eraser and erased out the sides were a light source would hit on a building. I don’t know what it is with cityscapes and sunrises I find interest, considering I’m neither a city girl nor a morning person, but this is by far my favorite.
The Willow Tree


Size: 21" x 12"
Medium: Yarka Willow Charcoal, Rembrandt Black Pastel, Water
Artist Statement: This drawing required creating my own method of erasing and the only thing I could come up with is using water in erasing the charcoal. After layering the surface of the paper with the charcoal, I took a plain brush with some water and in back and forth scrubbing motion, I erased the area I want the most white. The reason for the willow tree is because I thought it would fit the theme of smooth and flowing much like the water used to make these marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment